Customizing Status Bar/Create Custom Window

Started by MacGyver, August 22, 2012, 08:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Is there a way to create a custom window in Visio 2007 (similar to a Size & Position Window but with custom data) or modify the Status Bar at the bottom of the application to include additional data?

I find it very useful to know the Shape.Name, Shape.NameU, and Shape.ID of a selected shape within a visio drawing.  I can fufill this desire with the Shape.Name if i simply select View-Size & Position Window or View-Shape Data Window and the corresponding window title bar is wide enough to display the full title. 

Solution A: Ideally i would like to modify the status bar to include the desired additional information of a selected shape (shape.Name, shape.NameU, and shape.ID) but am unsure of how to go about doing that or if it is at all possible.

Solution B:If that is not possible, then i was wondering if I could create a custom window much like the Size & Position Window, that simply lists the desired additional information (shape.Name, shape.NameU, and shape.ID).  And if this custom window could be partially transparent, that would be dream.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MacGyver

I need to figure out how to update the displayed text in my form.  I can write a macro to update my Form label captions ShapeInfo_form.shpName.Caption = vsoShape.Name
'where vsoShape is the actively selected shape

but because the form is a child of the anchored window, the form captions are not updating. How do make this happen?  I attempted to use the repaint method of the form but it did not work.

Also how do I write a macro to execute whenever my shape selection changes?  I have found some info on the expression_SelectionChanged() function but am unsure of how to use it.  Would i simply place a macro titled Private Sub ActiveDocument_SelectionChanged(ByVal Window As [IVWINDOW])
in the ThisDocument Visio Object?

If I knew how the Shape Data or Size & Position Windows worked it would be quite helpful.