How to modify standard 'network / Ethernet' smartshape

Started by Budgie, October 15, 2008, 11:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budgie

Guys, I'm sure (hope) this is simple but I can't see how to do it...  I want to edit the standard Visio Network / Ethernet smartshape (you know the pipe looking thing with adjustable legs/connection points on it available from the Network and Peripherals stencil).  Basically want I want to do is edit the line weight for the pipe bit separate to the legs/connection bits.  By default the pipe bit line weight is heavier/thicker than the leg/connection bits but I want to reverse that.

The only way I've been able to do it is to ungroup the shape but that breaks the smartshape when you re-group.  I can't see anything in the shapesheet which allows me to do this on the native smartshape, nor can I select the leg/connection shape piece (from within the grouped shape) if I hover over the legs...  Is there a way of using the shapesheet to access/edit the individual shape bits that make up the grouped shape?

cheers Tony

Paul Herber

You need to open the Drawing Explorer (if you are editing a shape already dropped on the page) or the Master Explorer (if you are editing the master shape).
This will show you all the constituent parts of the shape - right-click the appropriate part and use menu Show ShapeSheet, there are a large number of geometry sections within the main shape - have fun.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Budgie

thanks Paul, I tried what you advised however I don't seem to be able to select/edit the individual parts without first ungrouping it (in the master explorer).  If I ungroup it I can select the parts and edit them however once it's ungrouped the smartshape breaks (even if I 'select all' and regroup) when I exit the master explorer.  Am I missing something?

cheers Tony

Paul Herber

Just select the part within the Master Explorer, the shape may or may not be highlighted. Then use Show Shapesheet on the rightclick menu. Don't try and select the individual shapes by clicking on the shape itself.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Budgie

that was QUICK!  Thanks Paul, sorted it with your latest help.  cheers Tony