Custom Shapes During Org chart import

Started by kazman, July 26, 2012, 02:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazman

Hi There

Wondering if anyone can help, I have been tasked with creating a visual representation of a directory structure, I have worked out how to use Visio's org chart import feature but rather than use the default shape types and default shape properties I would like to use my own.

This is what I've managed to do so far

1, I have created my own set of stencils for the shapes i want to use e.g.

i. A Folder icon to indicate to click to view folder contents
ii. A Folder icon to indicate that this is a folder but there are no files of interest inside
iii. 4 different file icons e.g. shell script, C file, SQL File, Perl File

2. I have a Macro which will add the shape data field properties I need ready for entry so that I can specify things like file size, lines of code etc (all this will be used for reporting later, which I have also managed to setup)

If someone can help me do either of the following I would be extremely grateful

1. Change the Position type so that I can use one of my Custom shapes, When I right click a Manager (or any) shape it does not list my Shapes

2. Import the Org chart to use my shapes, I think this can be done during the import by having a column in the excel document called MasterShape but I dont know how to configure my shapes to do this

Just to add, its not simply Vanity that I would like to use custom images (although it would look nicer :-) ) te main reason I cannot use Visio's default shapes for Org charts is that as i mentioned before this is for a directory structure and Visio's default shape data properties do not apply to me and I already have a macro that inserts the fields i need ready for entry

Visio's default shape properties causes additional problems when a shape is copied as it adds my custom properties as well as the default. In addition eventually I plan to hand this document to someone else for future maintenance and would not like to handover a document that requires more work to remove unnecessary fields.

sorry for the waffle everyone, can anyone help?

Regards

Kaz

Jumpy

I would recommend not to use the org chart feature. There is an AddOn or AddIn behind, that's nut well documented and not really customizable. The AddOn won't recognize your custom shapes and to get that to work nervertheless will be realy difficult task.

Maybe it would be easier to write your own import-macro. Further benefit would be, that you have more options with the layout.

hth Jumpy

pavane

I have recently implemented a VBA process to import test scripts into a hierarchy chart and have implemented workarounds which partially solve the problems people have reported. I can ensure that the layout is done "left to right", and that the final layout can be done horizontally (the arrange parameters cannot be provided to the add-in, as far as I can find). I have also implemented a "sort subtree" which can reorganise the selected subtree in correct sequence, and another procedure to select all owners of a selected shape (i.e. the owners to the top of the tree). Maybe some of this will be of use. 

pavane

Sorry, this seems to have been posted to the wrong topic!

RP10005

Similar to the original poster, I am trying to create an org chart using Visio's "Organization Chart Wizard," which allows a user to pull in data from Excel.  I need to use some non-rectangular shapes; for example, triangles, circles, squares with triangles in them, etc., but the Organizational Chart Wizard doesn't seem to allow for this automatically or even manually.  If you try to change the "position" of shape (which is Visio's way of saying "type of shape"), it only allows you to use the default rectangular shapes.  I'm surprised that Visio doesn't have this simple flexibility.  Does anyone have a solution, or do I have to create the entire org chart manually in order to use triangles and the like?  Thank you!!