Text box Hyperlink- adding a custom field that represents the sub-address

Started by renosis, July 25, 2012, 04:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renosis

I have a multi-page document and on just about every page I have a hyper-link to take you to the next page. It is basically a network cable map for a large WAN. So I'd cover a main street on a page and branch off to other pages from that page. To accomplish this, the user righ clicks on a text box shape and follows the hyper-link to the associated page. This text box, of course has the page number that it links to on it too, because some times they like to print this out and you obviously can't see the hyper-links on the print out. Often times, I have to add new pages in the middle of the document, as the network grows. Typically, whenever this happens, I have to adjust all the hyperlinks to point to their new and proper pages.

What I want to do is put a custom field in the text-box that automatically puts the location of the hyperlink. This way I don't have to change it in two places.

I found this in another topic which I thought would do it...

For the custom field formula: ="mymastershape"!hyperlink.row_#.subaddress.

But I need a way for the hyperlink to automatically refer to its shape, if I have to go into every text box, add the sheet name and add this and change the row_#. Isn't there a way to have a shape refer to itself? Something like This(Shape)!hyperlink.row_(FIRST ROW).subaddress.

Thanks, this is a great site by the way!

renosis

I was able to figure it out. All I needed to do in the custom formula was specify "=Hyperlink.row_#.SubAddress" .... I didn't need any of the stuff before the "Hyperlink". I still have to go to each one and insert my field... but at least I will only have to do it once.

I am not going to withdraw my post, because I have a question I can add to it. Typically, on my page hyperlinks, the text will read something like  "To Page-5: 1st Street to 5th Street via Main Street" . The part that reads "1st Street to 5th Street" matches a box of text on (A page description in a title block) said page (Page-5 in my example). I would like to further my simplification of the page linking, by creating some kind of custom data (I don't know if this is the right word) on Page-5 that would be called "Description" and the value of it would be "1st Street to 5th Street via Main Street". This way, for my description box I could just link to this custom data... and for the last part of my hyperlink text box, I could also link to that data.

What would be the best way to accomplish this? Is there a tutorial some where for this type of thing?

Thanks,

Renosis