News:

BB code in posts seems to be working again!
I haven't turned on every single tag, so please let me know if there are any that are used/needed but not activated.

Main Menu

Instances of WINWORD.EXE When Running Visio

Started by mrhagerty, June 26, 2012, 03:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhagerty

When I create or re-open a Visio 2010 drawing with the BPMN process modeler plug-in, I get multiple instances of WINWORD.EXE showing up in task manager per drawing.  If I open several drawings at the same time I can have as many as 10-15 instances running.

When I close Visio, these instances do not close but remain in my process queue taking up memory.  Any explanation why there is this dependency and is there a way to make them close when Visio closes?

Mike (Newbie)

aledlund

Is there custom code associated with the drawings, or an add-in?
al

mrhagerty

No custom code that I know of.  We are using a plug-in for BPMN process modeler which adds business process modeling elements in addition to the Visio elements, a rule set, and a validation tool.

I'm not too concerned if winword needs to run with the drawing.  But winword does not close out when the drawing closes, and does not get removed from the process queue when Visio closes.  These hang around all day until you reboot or physically remove them.

Mike

aledlund

Since Visio doesn't open Word by itself, the suspicion has to fall upon whatever is opening the application. It's that function which has the responsibility to clean up after itself.
al

Paul Herber

Hi Mike, where did the BPMN addin come from?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

mrhagerty

BPM Essentials (Corp.) is contracted with Microsoft to provide their process modeling template and rules  embedded in Visio 2010 shipped.

Mike

aledlund

Mike,
Just as a thought, do you have hyperlinks embedded in your drawing to open the external documents? Documents opened that way aren't intended to have 'windows' like behaviour (the automatic closing that you're looking for).
Al

mrhagerty

No hyperlinks that I'm aware of or that I deliberately created.

Mike

Browser ID: smf (is_webkit)
Templates: 4: index (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 6: init, html_above, body_above, main, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), Post.english (default), Editor.english (default), Drafts.english (default).
Style sheets: 4: index.css, attachments.css, jquery.sceditor.css, responsive.css.
Hooks called: 277 (show)
Files included: 34 - 1306KB. (show)
Memory used: 1125KB.
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 12: 0.00146s for 26,766 bytes (show)
Cache misses: 1: (show)
Queries used: 15.

[Show Queries]