org chart co-managers

Started by TinaP, October 06, 2008, 01:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinaP

I need to create a grouping on an org chart showing two co-managers over a group of employees.  Is it possible to create a line connecting two lines on the org chart?  I'm using Visio 2003.

I hope I've been clear enough.  Thanks.

wapperdude

Not sure, are you asking if it's possible to show a sub-ordinate connected to two managers?  Sort of.  One of the managers will have to be connected using the the dotted line connector.
Visio 2019 Pro

TinaP

I have two VP level supervisors that are co-managers of a department that has two co-supervisors and about 8 clerk-level employees.  My supervisor would like to have the two VPs connected to the two supervisors with a line configuration that looks like an H.  Kind of like this if I could connect the lines:
  A B
  |  |
  ---
  |  |
  C  D

A and B are VP co-managers, C and D are co-supervisors.  I've already thought of ways that I can show the co-managing of the department, but I'd like to keep my supervisor happy.

wapperdude

If all you want to show is the horizontal line segment, you can add a dotted line connector, between A and D or even A and B, etc., drag the horizontal segment and place it mid-way between the VP's and supervisors, then change the dotted connector line style to solid.  Or am I missing something?   ???
Visio 2019 Pro

TinaP

Like I said, my supervisor would like the connection to go from line to line, not employee to employee.  If it can't be done, I'll just have to tell him so.  But if it can be done, I'd like to make him happy.

wapperdude

So, the "appearance" of the horizontal section going line-to-line is insufficient.  Rather, the horizonatal line must be a small segment that literally goes line-to-line?

Go to menu bar > tools > Snap & Glue.  Make sure that both snap to and glue to sections have shape geometry selected.  That ought to solve your problem.  Draw your vertical lines 1st, add the horizontal line last.  It will glue to the vertical lines.
Visio 2019 Pro

TinaP

Excellent!

Thanks wapperdude, that worked perfectly. :D