How to mimic a MS PowerPoint Clipart Style?

Started by blockmental, October 07, 2008, 05:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blockmental

Hello,

In MS PowerPoint 2003 there's an arrow "style" I'd like to be able to replicate in Visio 2003.
The ppt image is in the clipart library and can be found under a search for "cycle"... it's named: DD00760_.wmf.
I'm not after the purple "background squiggly", but I would like to be able to use a similar style arrow in Visio (i.e., a style in which the width of the arrow body varies).
Is there any way I can use Visio to vary the width of a line (and not just the endpoints), please?
Or, alternately, could someone point me to an already-made graphic that I could use.

Many thanks!

vojo

Why dont you make it yourself....takes less than 5 minutes...a couple of ways to do it
(arc or straights with rounding turned on)
Could look at June the seconds isometrics to make it flexible configurable (he did a nice job with those).

blockmental

Hello vojo,

I've tried using the Visio "Free Form Tool" to replicate this, but I can't seem to generate enough "editing points" (the little green circles) to make the things conform quite like I want them to.  Below is the actual "style" that I'm trying to replicate.

Also please, I'd like to checkout your suggestion to look at "...June the seconds isometrics"... unfortunately I'm not able to find  this on the site.

Thanks!

wapperdude

I quickly cobbled this arrow.  Might suffice, it's 1/2 of the PPT arrow.  :P
Visio 2019 Pro

blockmental

Many thanks wrapperdude,

This is REALLY close to what I was after and it will work very nicely indeed!!!

Thanks again!

vojo

so wrapperdude....I got to ask:

I assume you ballparked this with some of the freehand tools (arc/line/etc) then did some special steps.
(I cant see anybody getting into the shape sheet and entering all those elliptical arc values like some sort of artist with a brush).

Can you out line the steps...might be helpful to general population

wapperdude

You want my secrets!?!   :o

Actually, it is a process that basically does what you initially recommended, use the drawing tools.  I've used this technique a lot, some of the results are quite interesting -- Visio Guy has seen my upright bass (not the fish).

So, to begin with, I cheated.  I took the PPT file and inserted it into Visio, and then traced over the arrow.  Basically, I use the line, curve, and pencil tools.  For the longer arcs of the arrow shaft, I initially use the arc tool, in this case, I think it might have been a single arc, some times multiple arcs.  Then, switch to the pencil, grab the center inflection point and drag it a little to get more arcing.  Then, grab the inflection point handles and change the shape of the arc to match the arrow shaft inside edge curvature.  Copy and place that arc section to form the outer edge of arc.  Use the pencil to to resize, reposition end points to match the shaft so it is narrow at the head and wide at the end.  Speaking of the end, go to that part of the figure.  Both arc segments should "terminate" near where the end does it's rounding thing.  Select one arc, use the line tool, draw a line that connects the two end points.  You will eventually have to "join" these pieces.  (If you really wanted too, you could have "blocked" in the entire shape with one continuous line-arc segments to avoid the "joining" process, but this figure had some repetitiveness, and I chose to do copy/paste.)  Anyway, back to this "end" line, switch to pencil tool, grab the center inflection control and drag to match the rounding. (Another note, the line curvature will only match perfectly circular arc segments.  The arc tool puts down elliptical segments which allow you to manipulate the curvature in all manner of interesting effects.)  Now, join to the other arc segment.  Switch to the arrow head, and it's basically a repeat process.  You look at the arrow head, identify "regions" and draw either arc or line segments to block in the shape, then use pencil tool to manipulate the curvatures.  Usually, I zoom in, up to 3000X, and ocassionally turn snap off so I can get highly precise placements of end points and curvatures.  Matching transitions from one segment to the next is an iterative process of shifting end points about and playing with curvatures.  Patience is a virtual here.  Obviously, the final product must be completely connected to accept a fill pattern. 

Hope this makes sense.   :P  I rarely go into the shapesheet for these figures, unless I can't get the figure to close, and then I manipulate the endpoint to be the startpoint.  ::)

If you want to see the upright bass, I can post it hear, or in the marketplace, or have Visio Guy add it to the art section of the forum.   8)

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

thanks....more like I thought