Dynamic Pipeline connector -- help?

Started by Bubba2413, May 31, 2012, 03:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba2413

ok.. I'm trying to tweak the pipeline connector into a dynamic connector. 

I've included a sample to demonstrate.  The yellow 'modified' pipeline is where I've gotten so far.  The blue unmodified is... well... unmodified.

So far, I've updated the 1-D endpoints, and GlueInfo sections.  The shape basically works --sort of, but I'd really like the gluepoints to be at the end of the centerline extensions instead of the ends of the pipe, and have the centerline extensions extend a fixed length ratio, and fixed at the same angle as the pipe.  I'm thinking that I have to select just the extensions, and open the shapesheet for that element, but just not quite clear on how to do that, and move the gluepoints to the end of the extensions.

Any thoughts? 
I'm really thinking/hoping that someone's already done this.  The end shape would be used as a dynamic vpn tunnel connector.  Of course once complete, I'd love to see it added to a public collection somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

vojo

For this kind of thing, I typically create connection points.

So
   - create the shape you want (new or modified)
   - add connection points where you want via shapesheet

I dont use glue much at all, but I guess you could do something like the following
   - make a shape, a rectangle perhaps, of length you want
   - Over lay on that rectangle the shapes you want ...barrell, lines, etc
   - group them
   - go into shape sheet of the rectangle and set to no show
   - select the entire group, go to format and set to group only

I suspect trying to tune the native shape glue behavior would need some additional handling for the line stubs
   - Probably want to make the left  be something like
           moveto      width * 0                Height *0.5
           line            width * 0 + 5mm    height * 0.5
    - right would be
           moveto      width * 1                height * 0.5
           line            width * 1 -5mm      height * 0.5
   - If you did this, and choose connection points  (may need to play with formats and such)
          point1        sheet.<left stub>!geometry.x1         sheet<left stub>!geometry1.y1
          point2        sheet.<right stub>!geometry.x1       sheet<right stub>!geometry1.y1

This is what I do for blades...you can ignore all the fluff....the connection points in the base is point here

murdan2413

Thanks!... not sure what you mean by line stubs... I don't think I've run across that before.