Author Topic: Inserting Word or Excel Docs into Visio and Saving as XPS  (Read 48330 times)

8point6

Inserting Word or Excel Docs into Visio and Saving as XPS
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »
Hi,

I am new at this.

Am trying to layout a picture of my very small company (we do all the things a big company does) just less often.

I thought I had spoken with an individual at tech support and had figured out a way to insert an Excel doc or Word doc, use it, update it and save it to an xps file so it was compact and could be viewed (not edit) by someone without Visio.  Can this be done?

I want to make sure it is feasible before doing a lot of work in the Word and Excel files.  I started to and when I saved it as a wps or pdf, it didn't open up the Word or Excel Docs for viewing ... the hyperlinks worked great!

Thanks

8 point 6
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:15:14 AM by Visio Guy »

aledlund

Re: Inserting Word or Excel Docs into Visio and Saving as XPS
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:52:50 AM »
This is actually several questions. "Can you insert word and excel files into Visio?", not really. You can insert hyperlinks to get to them. You can insert portions of them as text. As you discovered OLE (Object Link Embed which can be used to call an external program) doesn't translate to XPS.
"save it to an xps file so it was compact and could be viewed (not edit)", XPS like PDF has been turned into a standard which is published and people are writing code to open these files without having the original applications.
It sounds like you're getting into document management which is the domain of things like Sharepoint.
al
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:15:19 AM by Visio Guy »

8point6

Re: Inserting Word or Excel Docs into Visio and Saving as XPS
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:41 AM »
Al,

Thanks - I found that I could add a Word or Excel doc into Visio and as long as I stayed in Visio, I could save the Word or Excel doc - re-open it and edit it.  Once I saved it to xps, I lost the ability to do so.  You explaintion makes sense and helps.

I am going to look at Sharepoint when I get back from my son's lacrosse game today. My goal is to lay out my thinking i a way that allows others, new key employees, my banker etc. to visualize easily the overall and click on and get more detail if and as needed.

As a small company, there is a tendency to keep much in your head, not purposely, but because of the nature of not having the financial resources, time or staff to document everything.  I see Visio as a great means to achieve some clarity for me, those I work with and those who have put their faith in me. 

I saved it to xps because it was one of the options available - basically experimentation

e option is to have those that I want to view, use a view of Visio.  The only thing I am not exited about is having to use ctrl click in Visio.  It doesn't seem to always work easily (you might have to click off the object and back or perform some gymnastics.  The other possibility is I don't know what I am doing yet.

Anyway, I can laugh at myself and appreciate your taking to time to respond.

8 point 6

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:15:26 AM by Visio Guy »