Hyperlinks dont work when connected to a layer that is LOCKED. Visio 2010

Started by booradly07, April 18, 2012, 06:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

booradly07

Hi,

Hopefully this is a simple question to answer.

I am designing a fairly complicated Visio diagram with a lot of layers.  When I select certain layers to display, there is some information I want to display and some hyperlinks I want to provide to other supporting documents related to the layers being displayed.

The hyperlinks work fine if I don't lock the layer they are associated with.  If I lock it they cannot be clicked in any way.  I don't want to unlock the layers by default because I don't want to position of objects to be moved or deleted etc.

Has anyone else encoutered this and is there a way around having to unlock layers that hyperlinks are associated with?

Thanks for your time.

Paul Herber

There might be a different way to do it. This does assume all shapes are on at least one layer.
Make all layers invisible except the one you have locked. Unlock it.
Now select all shapes (Control-A), and set the shape protection to protect deletion, moving etc.
Now make all the other layers visible. That should have the same effect.
Even if some shapes aren't on a layer you should still be able to do this via the Shape Select (No Layer) menu.

P.S. However, hyperlinks should still work on a locked layer.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

booradly07

Thanks for the feedback.  I will try that today and let you know how it works.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense that the hyperlinks should work in a locked layer but I have been trying to get around this for days now and can't seem to make it work.  It could be I am missing some other element causing the hyperlinks to 'lock out' but I don't have enough experience to say.

Again, thanks.

booradly07

OK, that works great.  I'm not sure why I have to do this but it gets the job done.  Thanks so much for your help.

For anyone else that runs into this and you choose to follow the above advice, this link will explain how to add the menu items to the quick access toolbar so you can quickly make this change to objects on the fly.

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/visio-2010-protect-document-shapes/