Multiple inputs have similar but different process

Started by SpankyAndy, April 04, 2012, 03:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpankyAndy

Hi all !

I'm an IT support manager who's never had a need for Visio in the past, but have just entered the world of flow charts to map out a process for a new (and potentially very complex) project that's landed on my doorstep.

While trying to map out the processes, I've determined there are 11 different input forms:

• 3 of these forms follow the exact same process from start to finish.
  • 1 of the forms has the exact same start and end to the process, but skips 2 steps in the middle.
  • 1 same as above, but skips 2 steps near the end.
  • 1 form follows the original process, but has a different ending (details are entered into a different system).
  • 1 form follows the original process, but misses the final couple of steps.
  • The rest I haven't looked at yet.

As you can see, there's a lot of process overlap in the way these 11 different forms are handled, but the majority have small differences.

I'm trying to draw a map of the above, but because of the various differences in process, the only obvious way I can see to do this would be to create a separate map for each input.  I'm sure there's a much better way of doing this, that would allow me to draw all of the inputs on one map and use a single process shape for each stage, rather than duplicating these to demonstrate differences in the process flow.  I was trying to use different coloured lines to represent each input, but that looks really messy, so now I'm just confused as to how to do it.

I'm struggling to put what I'm trying to do into words, so I hope that some of you brighter sparks can decipher my dribble above.  If anyone is able to assist or point me in the direction of an existing process map that could give me a clue, that would be great !

Cheers

Andy

Fin311

I would suggest a BPMN Diagram with multiple swimlanes.  Depending on the version of Visio you are currently using.  These diagrams are only available on Visio 2010  premium.  There are lots of tutorials and how to's inside this forum.  I hope you are lucky enough to have 2010 premium, if not you can still generate cross-functional flowcharts, but the ability to create sub-process shapes isnt there.  Hope this helps!

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio-help/overview-RZ102712773.aspx?section=1

SpankyAndy

Thanks Fin !

This wasn't what I thought I was looking for, but it works well for what I'm trying to do.  I'll still have to create multiple process maps, but they're much easier to follow now [and make me look like I know what I'm doing!].

Cheers