Custom properties affecting individual group shape formulae

Started by whirlpool1, March 17, 2012, 11:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whirlpool1

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before (Im sure it has ; ) )
Ive been playing with Visio 2003 today, and im trying to do something which seemingly 'should' work, but just doesn't.  I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction without suggesting VBA, as I am a total noob when it comes to VBA.

As an example;
I have three objects, Object1, Object2 and Object3.  These are all grouped together as Group1.
I have assigned a custom property set to Group1.

I am attempting to do two things, based on variable list custom property values;

1) If Group1's custom property Prop.1 equals say "RH" (selected from the list of variables I entered), then I want to FlipX on Group1.  So I have placed a formula in FlipX for Group1 as follows:
=if(Prop.1="RH",TRUE,FALSE).
I want this to effectively mirror Group1 based on the custom property.

secondly,
2) If Group1's custom property Prop.2 equals say "Mesh" (selected from the list of variables I entered), then I want to Object1's Fill to equal a diffrerent colour.  So I have placed a formula in FillForegnd for Object1 as follows:
=if(Group1!Prop.2="Mesh",2,1).
I want this to effectively fill a member of the group based on the custom property.

Whilst Visio seems to allow me to do all this, changing Group1's custom properties, does not dynamically alter the group/shapes as I intend.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks in advance,
Whirlpool1
Build it and they will come...

vojo

You dont need VBA for this

At the group level, you have a cell....for the sake of this argement lets call it  props.mytrigger     full name is sheet.4!props.mytrigger
It is a list format where RH and MESH are allowed

At the shape level with in group....for the sake of this argument, lets assume shape 1 cares if "RH"
in shape1's flipx cell, you would have the following formula      = if(strsame(sheet.4!props.mytrigger, "RH"), true, false)

At the shape level in group....for the sake of this argument, lets assume shape 3 cares if "MESH"
in shape3's fllforegnd cell you would have      = if (strsame(sheet.4!props.mytrigger, "MESH", RGB(255,0,0), RGB(0,0,255))

If you dont want any UI actions to overwrite these shape cells then encase in GUARD     aka = Guard(if(strsame(sheet.4!props.mytrigger,"RH"), true, false))

Of course, you certainly could do this in VBA....lots of examples on the web on how to pass a selected shape, walk shapes, find cells, read cells and write cells.

Jumpy

To emphazise a point in vojos answer: Your main problem is:

=if(Prop.1="RH",TRUE,FALSE).

You want to compare two strings, Prop.1 and "RH". That is not possible that way in the ShapeSheet (only in VBA).
In the ShapeSheet you have to use a ShapeSheet-Function called "strsame", the way vojo has done it.

(  In vojos is missing a bracket: = if (strsame(sheet.4!props.mytrigger, "MESH"), RGB(255,0,0), RGB(0,0,255))  )

hth Jumpy

whirlpool1

Fantastic, thanks for the help guys :)
I did manage to get it working with LOOKUP and some User Cells, but STRSAME is much cleaner for me.
Build it and they will come...