PDF import and scaling

Started by VG-James, March 15, 2012, 02:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VG-James

Greetings,

So I got a floorplan drawing of my building in PDF form.  It would seem that this is the only file anyone seems to have.

I imported it into Viso, which is good, but the scale is wrong.  Anything I also try to drop onto the drawing is based upon the scale Visio is referencing, not the scale of the imported drawing (obviously this is correct).

How do I correct the scale to match what the import looks like?  Here is the idea of the scale I have right now:  22' 10" wall on the drawing, the scale Visio reports is 0.875"

I'd just redraw the whole thing except, it's a huge drawing.  The building in reference is approx 400 ' by 800 ', many walls and cubicles.

Thanks folks...

James

VG-James

Thanks Aledlund.  Started to go through that article, but got stopped on the "View->Size & Position Window".  I am in Visio 2010, and have no idea where that would be.  I ran into that from this posting as well:

http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2136.msg9540#msg9540

Anyhow, so am still stuck.

Paul Herber

In Visio 2010 it's at View -> Task Panes -> Size and Position
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

VG-James

Thanks Paul.

Ok, So I did like the article talks.  I calculated the scale factor by doing the following:

From my first post, I took the aforementioned 274" / 0.875" (NOTE: 274" came from the 22'10" measurement I mentioned, and the 0.875 was what the drawing thought that length should be).
= 313.14

This gave me some unusual line art.  See attached images. 
Visio-01.jpg - Before picture
Visio-02.jpg - After the rescale

There were a few other things on the size/position that did not match up to all of this.  X/Y was not zero'd out, The angle was telling me 90, and pin pos was center-left.  Not that any of these played a factor ino this, but thought I would mention it.

James

wapperdude

The second picture doesn't make sense.  Changing the drawing scale shouldn't have that kind of impact.

Couple pointers/ideas;
1.)  When you place your drawing in Visio, make sure to preserve the aspect ratio.  In V10, with the drawing selected, then Ribbon>Developer>Shape Design>Protection.  Check keep aspect ratio.

For scaling:
1.)  Ribbon>Design>Page Setup and click the little square in the lower right corner.  This pops up the Page Setup menu.
2.)  Drawing Scale tab.  Here you can enter the drawing scale desired. 
  >>  So, let's say you need >800 ft.  Page size is 8.5" x 11"
  >>  Chose custom:  set 1st box to 0.0125 in, 2nd box = 1ft.  This would be 1:960 scaling.
  >>  At bottom left corner, you will see the "effective" size of the page.
  >>  If happy, hit OK

3.)  Your imported drawing will be VERY small.  You must expand it to fill the scaled page.  Tweak the scale factor until you get what you need.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

VG-James

Thanks Wapperdude. 

So I did as you suggested (after enabling the developer choice on the ribbon) :)

Now it's just trying to get it to resize.  Dragging corner to stretch it, takes a long time and finally does not change/resize.

See attached:

VG-James

Hey guys,

I'm back again.  Yea, it's been a year, and I've still been adding to this drawing. I'm revisiting this last posting, in that the page became resized however, the last remaining part was to get the drawing itself to re-size to the full page. dragging the corner does nothing.  It acts like it's trying to re-scale, but then after about a 30 second wait, it does nothing.

Would anyone have any further ideas?

Thanks,

James

VG-James

So,

I finally have this resolved (for the most part). I could never grab the corner and re-size the drawing.  What I ended up doing was to
1) Group everything together.
2) Right-click the grouped drawing -> select Show Shapesheet
3) change Width and Height to close-to sizes.  This was a bit of trial and error.

After that point, I then zoomed into a specific room I had measurements on, then I could (slowly) resize the whole drawing with grabbing the handles, but it was very slow processing to move.

Once done with manually adjusting width and height, I UN-grouped the whole drawing.

Now it all looks better, but most of my text is wrapped.  Is there an easy way to unwrap / stretch the text box back out, or is it a manual process?  If no one can answer (since this is an old thread), I'll start a new one.

Thanks,

James