Newbie Questions Driving me crazy

Started by GPX, March 13, 2012, 07:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPX

I'm having trouble with some basic steps. Help is very much appreciated.

1. Can't define a box size. I don't want to drag the shape to the size I need, I want to edit the properties and tell Visio what it should be. For example: Define the side of a box to be 2.37in. It's hard to drag to precise measurements even when I use a gridline. Why isn't this a basic property I can set with a right click?

2. Placement. I want to place objects, such as boxes, in precise position. For example, after creating a box that's 2.3in square, I want to place it inside a larger box 4.12 inches from the left side etc. There should be a X-Y position property some where but I can't find it.

3. How to measure space. After creating several boxes of varying sizes, and putting them inside another box, what is the space between two boxes or an inner box and the outer box wall? If Visio knows the dimensions and placement, it should be able to tell me the remaining dimensions.

Is Visio just the wrong tool for this?

I have Visio 2007 and 2010

Thanks for your help

GPX

BTW: Maybe a different project type would help. I've been trying various types of floor plans because they seems the closest thing to my need. Would another type have different tools and options?

Paul Herber

All very simple once you know the correct tool.
Visio 2007 - menu View -> Size and Position window
Visio 2010 - menu View -> Task Panes -> Size and Position

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

GPX

Thanks Paul, that's a huge help.
I can draw boxes in the remaining space to get available space unless there is a better way.

I also discovered one of my complications was trying to create the cross section of an I-Beam from a perpendicular line segment. It wants to snap/place the I-Beam on center points of the beam sections rather than the corners (even after setting the pin position to top left).  I think because it's a line, it references the line center rather than the line edge accounting for thickness. I'll have to create that another way.

thanks for your help

Paul Herber

To measure space you can use one of the various measuring aids, can't remember which stencils they are in, depends on which Visio version (Std or Pro) you have anyway.

As for the line segments, that's down to your Snap and Glue settings. You also might want to turn ooff the grid or stop the snap working with the grid.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/