Linking Excel cells into a visio document

Started by tomek225, March 07, 2012, 11:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomek225

Hello all,

I have an excel sheet with 20 cells in a single column (various sensors on a machine like temperatures/vibrations etc). I have a visio drawing of this piece of equipment and various bubbles with where these sensors should be located on the machinery.

I would like to assign each bubble a specific excel cell so that I can copy/paste new sensors into excel and have the bubbles in the visio file update with the newest sensors from the piece of machinery.

So the questions i have: How do I properly link a specific cell in excel to a shape in visio which also needs to be updated multiple times?

I tried to search this here and in google and in visio help and have not been able to do it successfully where it shows only the information in 1 cell.

Microsoft Excel and Visio 2007 edition.

thanks!

Jumpy

What Visio 2007 edition? Standard or Professional?
Datalink feature only works with professional.

aledlund

If you're willing to share a copy of sample excel and visio, I'd be happy to look (assumes your at v2007 pro or above).
al

tomek225

I am trying to find out which I have...

I click on Help -> About Microsoft Office Visio
And it says Microsoft Office Visio 2007 (12.0....) SP2 MSO (12.0...)

Am I looking in the wrong place to see if it is Standard or Profesional?

thanks!

tomek225

Sorry about being such a Newb, I just started using Visio recently.

@aledlund - once i find out if I have pro, I will attach "sample" files (can't attach customer confidential information).

thanks for the help.

tomek225

Ok, so I do have Visio Professional 2007 (went to regular visio help instead of about visio).

In the first column of the excel files are the "sensor names" that correspond to a location in the drawing. What i would like to do is change these sensor names and have them update in the visio.

thanks!

tomek225

Al - thanks for the video!

The only thing I have left to ask.... So when i link it to a shape it takes the first row (sensor) and adds it infront of the actual tag I want. So for example I only want the shape to have "BRG_1X" but after I link it it shows " Sensor   BRG_1X". Is there any clean way of not including that in the shape? The only work around I thought of is just putting a space in the cell instead of "sensor".

thanks again for the help, I am 99% there, just this minor detail.

tomek225

I ask for help too fast... just needed to play around a little bit. Just changed the "edit data graphic" box. I am good now. Thank you for your help again AL!

abssorb

I also need to achieve this, but - I'm constrained in that my client's corporate PC build only has visio 2003 professional.

Would it still be possible?

aledlund

you would have to write the code yourself, since it became natively available in v2007 pro.
al