Line jumps over lines on invisible layers.

Started by Redem, September 29, 2008, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redem

Hello
Say I have two intersecting lines 1 and 2, line 1 is of less importance so I want it to jump line 2. This is easily done but when i hide line 2 by turning its layer invisible the line jump on line 1 remains.
Is there a way to make the linejump sensitive only to visible graphics?
going thru the lines (there can be several hundred lines) one by one and alter the jumpstyle based on intersecting lines in code is the only way I can think of to actually do this if there is no way built into the system.

wapperdude

:(  I've not run across a way to do this, leastwise, not simply.  It is kind of funny that a line will still hop over a transparent line.  Well, not that funny.  Don't know if the line hop can be controlled in code, but that sounds like a lot of work too.  There is one approach that we old guys used (use) which avoids line hops altogether -- no four-way connected intersections.  Goes back to days when multiple Xerox copies would drop a connection dot or two -- you know, when things were hand-drawn.  If lines cross at a four intersection, by definition, that is NOT a connection.  So, if a horizontal and vertical intersecting lines were to be connected, then, one of them would have to be offset slightly such that there is no 4-way connection.  But, to re-work your drawing now would involve a lot of effort.   :-\
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Ah!  This still requires some re-work, but, if you change the Line Jump style for the page to "last routed", and then re-draw the line, it should inherit the jump.  So, when it becomes invisible, neither it nor the jump will be seen.

The downside to this is a lack of drawing consistency where all of the jumps would be constrained to either just horizontal or vertical.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Redem

Well, we built a program that generates flowsheets so the problem of redrawing everything isnt an issue.
The problem is that the drawing standard is based upon an existing standard and the line jumps depending on the lineweight of the line and direction. so the shape jumpstyle is barely used.
I however might have found a workaround by adding a condition to the ConLineJumpCode on the mastershape that checks if the line belongs to the invisible layer and if the layer indeed is invisible forceing the jumpcode to allways jump if thats the case.

wapperdude

I think this will be universally applied to the entire line route, not just to the jumps over invisible lines.   :(
Visio 2019 Pro

Redem

Well, if I force the invisible line to always jump when on an invisible layer then the visible line wont jump.
This did solve the problem for me:
=IF(FIND("2",LayerMember),2,0) 
If on invisible layer then jump always else jump default

wapperdude

Doh!  I was thinking of applying it to the visible lines.   :o

Nice solution.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

An alternative approach, to avoid adding a layer, would be to change your entry to:

ConLineJumpCode=IF(LinePattern=0,2,0). 

Now, just setting the line weight to No Line, will do the same thing.  The advantage / disadvantage is the line is still selectable, whereas, with hidden layer technique, it is not.
Visio 2019 Pro

Redem

ah didnt think of that, that wouldv'e been nice if I was only hiding lines but I still need the layer as I'm hiding other shapes and groups aswell.
But thanks for the tip I'm sure it'll come in handy for some other cases. :)