Edit ShapeSheet value formats for multiple shapes at once?

Started by LMZ, February 09, 2012, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMZ

I have a bunch of shapes that have Shape data fields (Prop.Start and Prop.Finish) that are date fields (Type=5-visPropTypeDate) and their formats are set to the default, ="", which displays as "MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS AM/PM". How can I change formats for these fields at once? I want to change the formats to "MM/DD".

Or, more generally, what is the syntax for changing the format and/or data in the shapesheet for multiple shapes?

Thanks ya'll!

vojo

need to go into the document stencil   (file ==> stencils ==>document stencil at the bottom)
Edit there and it takes affect on all current shapes in play....if you add another shape of this type from some its master stencil, it will get copied as a new instance in doc stencil
(ie  modifed is still there and a new one added with the old settings).   so whatever  changes you make, need to make them in the source shape as well for next time.

LMZ

Ok, that seems to work. However, I thought I could format the field by just doing ="MM/DD" , but I'm getting weird errors with that (it will display just the "MM/" part or just the "/DD" part, but not whole thing. I've tried a ton of different ways to format this field but none of them work, nor have I been able to find any documentation on formatting a date type shape data field. How can I change the display format of this shape data field? Any resources?

Thanks

vojo

if you are trying to enforce formatting.....I dont know the specifics for your field, but use help (make sure in developer mode ...in tools, options )....look at format and formatex....they may
have the strings you need.    Visio gets squrrilly regardng "  so you may want to set format to some know format (custom props ==> create ==> format) and then interpolate from that what you want.

If you are trying to give a suggestion to the user, then the info box (custom props ==> create ==> info or help feild), you could state the format needed
Note, this wont help you much if you are trying to use the actual value in some other cells formula...may end up having to parse the value to get MM and DD separately and make
decisions from there.