Line Corner Rounding

Started by AndyW, January 20, 2012, 02:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyW

Anyone else noticed Visio 2010 seems to make quite a mess of corner rounding for lines, especially if using your own line pattern. In Visio 2003/2007 I have lines with .05mm corner rounding and they generally look fine. However with 2010, corners have ears when zoomed out and gaps when zoomed in. Its awful!
Live life with an open mind

wapperdude

Confirmed. Sort of.  It seems to be somewhat dependent upon the pattern property setting.  The attached has a "continuous" setting and looks OK, but if you change the pattern setting to be a segmented property, it gets to be really weird looking.

Here's my version... :o

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

gwideman

I have noticed a similar problem on NURBS lines where the bends are tight relative to the line weight, with custom line patterns set to visMasLPTileDeform.  I noticed the situation was greatly improved by changing the LineCap to Round.

So, my leading guess is that the line segments used to create a curved path are being terminated (ie: at intermediate locations along the path) with inappropriate geometry, resulting in the aberrations we see.

-- Graham

Quote from: AndyW on January 20, 2012, 02:40:57 PM
Anyone else noticed Visio 2010 seems to make quite a mess of corner rounding for lines, especially if using your own line pattern. In Visio 2003/2007 I have lines with .05mm corner rounding and they generally look fine. However with 2010, corners have ears when zoomed out and gaps when zoomed in. Its awful!

AndyW

For my line pattern, white with black line each side, this was very small (scaled, 3mm high by .5mm) with a continuous behaviour. Seems to behave much better if the line pattern is made longer (scaled, 3mm high by 10mm wide). This seems OK with corner rounding or not.

As for the standard line, I've just given up with corner rounding on it altogether.

I wonder why they messed with this!

AndyW

All very strange. I was running against a French Visio 2010 for testing. I have now reinstalled an English version and applied all software updates. Now I don't seem to be able to reproduce this!!!