Center Drawing Command Broken???

Started by wapperdude, January 09, 2012, 08:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

From the previous post about the Center Drawing Command, it's not normally part of the Ribbon and must be added to a custom group.  Well, that's annoying, since, the command might logically belong to an existing Tab / Group.

Next, has anyone actually used the Center Drawing Command in Visio2010?  It used to be, you just clicked the button and the drawing contents automatically centered.  With V2010, I'm finding, at least on this particular setup, that I have to identify and then group everything first before the Center Drawing command works correctly.

Is this a common experience or perhaps I have a setup issue?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

aledlund

I was having issues with it in v2007 as well.
al

Paul Herber

The command seems to work fine here for me in Visio 2003 (Std), 2007 (Pro) and 2010 (Premium).
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

aledlund

the way mine showed up was I would center the drawing and then re-create it as a mirror, if I overlaid them there was a horizontal mismatch.
al

wapperdude

The behavior has been normal for both V2003 and V2007...just click the button and drawing contents center on the page.  No pre-selection, grouping, or any other steps required.  When I do that with V2010, on my work desktop, using Win7 Enterprise, the drawing contents align lower left.  If I select all (cntl-A) and group and then center, behaviour is as expected.

My laptop is having its OS upgraded, hope to have it back to see how that works.

Wapperdude

Ed:  Just tried a different drawing, and seems to work OK.  So, perhaps I have a document corruption.

ed2:  No, seems to be something with those shapes.  Problem tracks with the shapes, even in new drawing.

Ed3:  Tracked it done, had an unusually, unnecessarily long text box that was thowing the center calcs off.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jumpy

I have an issue with Vosio2010 that could be related. I have some smart shapes, that can become very big, depending on ShapeData entrys. That are very complicated grouped shapes. When I place such a shape on the drawing, the "paper size" explodes. Some new auto-adjust function in Visio2010 is at work I guess.
Workarround for that was to guard the PaperWidth and PaperHeight and so on in the PageSheet.

So maybe the reason that Visio decides, that my shapes need bigger paper, is the same one that it can't center the drawing correctly, because it assumes some of the shapes are bigger than they truly are?

Just a guess,
Jumpy

wapperdude

In my case, I had moved the textbox with the Textbox tool.  I didn't pay attention to the size of the box, which was very large, even though there was very little text in it.  Consequently, with nothing selected, the textbox extended beyond the area occuppied the shapes.  When I selected all, and groupped, the group boundary did not include the textbox, so the group shape was the correct size, and the only shape contributiing to the center drawing process.  Perhaps this info is of some use?

Regarding the annoying auto-resize of the pages, which I believe is the DEFAULT condition in V2010 (also a new feature), Chris talks about it a little in his book, which unfortunately it is at home at the moment, so I don't know if you can change the default setting.  But, you can turn it off on a per page basis...Ribbon>Design>Page Setup.  The AutoSize icon is a toggle, but it gives no indication of being on or off.  Click the lower right corner box to bring up the full menu and then go to the Page Size tab.  Select Pre-defined or anything other than Let Visio expand the page as needed.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro