Ribbon custom buttons: How to control their size?

Started by gwideman, January 05, 2012, 11:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwideman

Hi folks -- I was kind of hoping google would cough up an answer for this, but no luck.

When I add buttons to a ribbon using "Customize the Ribbon" (eg: adding individual Text/Rectangle/Ellipse/Line/Freeform buttons to a new "Tools2" group on the Home ribbon), those added buttons expand to a single row at huge size if there's enough space to do so. 

I don't want them to expand, I just want them normal size, and in two or three rows.  When expanded they look ridiculous, partly because they are bigger than all the other buttons, and partly because their images are generated from small-size bitmaps that look pixelated when expanded.

Is there any way to disable this gratuitous expansion?

On a related issue, is there some documentation somewhere on where this ribbon customization data is stored?  (Obviously I'm wondering if there's some setting in the data that one can edit.)

-- Graham

AndyW

From your ribbon customisation dialog you should be able to export the Visio customisations to a file. You can then edit the file, changing the "autoScale" setting to "false". Then from the ribbon customisation, import the modified file and save your diagram. The button should now be smaller, a single row.

Note, make sure you are careful with the case as the ribbon xml is very sensitive.
Live life with an open mind

gwideman

Quote from: AndyW on January 06, 2012, 08:24:31 AM
From your ribbon customisation dialog you should be able to export the Visio customisations to a file. You can then edit the file...

Excellent!  Exactly what I needed to know, and works well, what a relief!

gwideman

Quote from: AndyW on January 06, 2012, 08:24:31 AM
From your ribbon customisation dialog you should be able to export the Visio customisations to a file. You can then edit the file, changing the "autoScale" setting to "false". Then from the ribbon customisation, import the modified file and save your diagram. The button should now be smaller, a single row.

Note, make sure you are careful with the case as the ribbon xml is very sensitive.

... and though it works in the advertised manner, I discovered that if I subsequently add items to the Quick Access Toolbar, my autoscale setting on the tab I modified has reverted to True.  Arrrrrg.

chrispitude

Thanks for posting the solution to this. Although it's annoying to have to keep changing the autoscale setting back, at least there is some kind solution to this silliness.