Author Topic: ShapeSheet: show BOTH formula AND value  (Read 12433 times)

gwideman

ShapeSheet: show BOTH formula AND value
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »
How about a mode in the ShapeSheet window to show both formula and value at the same time.  Developers and shapesheet enthusiasts surely have monitors that are 50% bigger than in 1994, so we can afford the space now!  This would save endless amounts of flipping between the two mode as we currently have to do to understand, refine and observe shape behavior.
-- Graham

Paul Herber

• Global Moderator
    • Paul Herber's website
Re: ShapeSheet: show BOTH formula AND value
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »
and show the local and universal forms of cells.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jumpy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:46:13 AM »
It would already be helpful if you could toggle between the two modes more easyly.
For example if in Formula mode hit a key, for example F2 and "only see" the Resultmode.
To permanantly switch to result mode press Alt+F2 or sth. like that.

Or: When in formula mode and hoovering over a cell with the mouse cursor, the result could be shown.

gwideman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:16:37 AM »
I can certainly see the utility in Jumpy's suggestions, but they don't cover the case that I struggle with most.

For example, if I'm developing shapes with complicated interactions between parent (group) and child shapes, I really need to be able to see what cells are changing in value, live, as I move something, and correlate that with which formulas refer to what.  This is inordinately hindered by being able to see just formula, or just value.

-- Graham

wapperdude

• Global Moderator
  • Ideas Visio-lized into solutions
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »
I agree 100% Graham.  To see that interaction is crucial and would make the development process so much more efficient.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro