2010-2007 backward compatibility

Started by lkyb, December 22, 2011, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkyb

I'm starting to feel a sinking feeling over the possible answers to this already because I can't find any easy solutions, but....  half the people on the process team have Visio 2010, and half have 2007.  They all need to collaborate on process flows mapped out on a cross-functional flowchart template.  I've read that CFFs are not backward-compatible between 2010 and 2007 because 2010 uses containers to create the chart.  We're running into the issue that whenever someone edits the flows in one version, then the next person edits the flows in the other version of Visio, the formatting on the CFF gets completely messed up and they effectively become un-editable.  Is there a way to deal with this?  I haven't seen anything that would let 2010 make a 2007-style CFF to make it compatible...or save it as a 2007 file... or anything like that.  Does anyone have any ideas that might help?  Thanks in advance!

Paul Herber

I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news ... Visio 2007 x-func charts can be converted to Visio 2010 but not the other way. Best to work with just one version of Visio.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

lkyb

Darn, I wish we could....

What if I recreate the template in 2007?  Can 2010 read and edit it as a 2007-type file without adding in any incompatible 2010 elements?

Paul Herber

If you try it, create an x-func diagram in Visio 2007 and save it. Now open it in Visio 2010. You are told:
"The diagram <name> contains a cross-functional flowchart that has been updated to work with Visio 2010, which means it cannot be edited by earler versions of Visio after you save the document."
Visio 2010 can convert an earlier x-func diagram to the latest format, there is no way back.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/