How to draw circular arc subtending angle T with radius R?

Started by Jennifer, January 04, 2012, 04:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Is there an easy way to draw a circular arc (not a wedge) with a specific radius and subtending a specific angle?

For example, I'd like to create an arc with radius 3 and subtending an angle of 23.5°.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

The attached should do it.

Double click the shape to bring up shape data for radius and enclosed angle.  Angle should have deg as units.

This is pretty bare bones.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Very nice. Thank you so much.

I really need to learn how to do that one of these days. :-)

Is there a way to make those settings available from the Size & Position window? I notice that those settings are locked.

I also found a couple of built-in arc shapes. The arc-graphical shape also works, but your shape has a couple of advantages:

1. These is no way to specify the angle directly.

2. The shape area includes the center of the circle the arc is part of. This can be a problem if that invisible portion of the shape extends beyond the edge of the figure it is a part of. It makes the overall image size larger than it needs to be.

Again, thanks for the cool tool.

wapperdude

Since this shape is driven by radius and the sub-tended angle, the Size & Position entries are driven by the shape rather than the S & P drive shape.  I've updated the shape to include an "attack" angle, i.e., the overall rotation of the shape.  Otherwise, it's much of a novelity.

Hope this makes it more useful.

Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

wapperdude

Revised the the shape formulas such that the attack angle makes more sense.  Now the alignment box tracks the chord angle.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

The green arc reports an Arc Angle (probably not the same as an archangel) of 900.00 deg.

wapperdude

Oops.  Forgot I was doing some testing.  900 Deg = 180 Deg as far as trig functions go, but, not the same if you're counting "laps" around the circle.   :o

Anyway, thanks for the interesting diversion!   8)

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Well, I re-thought the angle issue and have made a 2nd version of the arc shape.  This is a 2D shape.  The formulas have been tweaked so that the presentation angle (I previously called this the attack angle) is now set by either using the shape's rotation handle or by entering a value into the S & P Window.

Enjoy!
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Being able to change the orientation angle without opening the Custom Properties is helpful. Would it make more sense to have the center of rotation the center of the circle the arc is part of rather than the midpoint of the arc? I can see uses for both.

A couple of comments:

1. For my purposes, it would be very helpful to be able to change the included angle from a handle, rather than having to open the Custom Properties window.

2. It would be also very helpful to be able to see (and possible set) the included angle from the S&P window. Can shapes add a like to the S&P window?

3. The resize handles are locked. And most of the properties in the S&P are locked.

Regardless, thanks for a handy tool.

wapperdude

Don't think another entry can be added to the S&P.

Latest version has new functionality:
1.)  Rotation is centered upon mid-point of circle.
2.)  Upon drop, arc angle displays at the rotation point.
3.)  Right click the shape and menu allows you to turn this text on / off.
4.)  Size is still set by double-clicking shape to bring up menu to enter radius / arc angle. 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Upon recent request, update to two of the shapes to provide a "dot' at the origin.  The dot can be shown/hidden with right click menu.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro