Author Topic: Is it possible to disable the hourglass cursor when changing shape data  (Read 923 times)

adam.lewis

Short Question
Is it possible to remove the hourglass cursor when changing shape data (ie User Defined cells, fill color etc...) programmatically?

Background
I am attempting to use Visio as a front end to view real time data retrieved from other local processes or systems on a local intranet.  At this point in time I am using COM control via Python with much success.  I am able to read all of the shapes and update them with no trouble, even at high rates of change.  I am also looking into socket connections via wsock to remove the COM processing in the near future.  While the control of Visio is great with COM and VBA, I cannot get over how annoying it is that EVERY time a shape's data is changed (written to) the mouse turns to the hourglass then back to the arrow.  The mouse is still 100% functional and does not hinder normal operation; it is just very distracting and would be embarrassing to send to a client. 

I have confirmed these issues both when a shape is changed via a COM interface or a VBA script.  Attached I have a sample of the VBA timer causing the hourglass change to help demonstrate what I am talking about.  Note that COM control does the same thing.  It seems that all of the MS Office suites have this kind of capability using the fmMousePointer Property  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd909838(v=office.12).aspx, but I assume that because Visio was acquired and is not really part of the Office suite I shouldn't be too surprised...

System Information
OS: Windows 7 (64bit development, 32bit support needed as well)
Visio Version: 2010 Professional (32bit)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:34:14 AM by adam.lewis »

Get Visio Guy's new book!