Visio solution development... moving to 64-bit, how to proceed?

Started by Michael Dag, December 08, 2011, 08:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dag

Here it goes...

Many moons ago... I started out with Visio 2000 and got the Visio Developer Survival Guide by Graham Wideman,
got myself a VB6 compiler and started using the VBVSL adapter from Graham to build my solutions in VB6 with accompanying functionality (GUI pop-ups, reading and writing XML data, etc) ...

Visio 2002 came along, got the Survival Guide for 2002... nicely trodding along
Visio 2003 came along, got the Survival Guide for 2003... fine still
Visio 2007 came along, no survival guide... but still all was well started persuading customers at least get to minumum Visio 2003 to be supported...
Visio 2010 came along, again no survival guide, but code was still running and could improve and develop my solution... but...

Visio 2010 64-bit can not run my 32-bit VBVSL adapter with VB6 DLL behind it...

It took me quite some time to get all my customers to move to at least 2003, sometimes even now then occasional new prospect with Visio 2002 comes along, but have some Visio 2003 in my solution...
(I know of even people still using Visio 2000... :()

Obviously to enter the 64-bit arena I have to move to at least VB.NET (I guess... 'cause I assume that's the closest to VB6  :-[
The minimum version of Visio I need to support is Visio 2003, but also will need to look into the future and 'prepare' for more newer versions of Visio and more customers moving to 64-bit... now I can still 'tell/advise' them only 32-bit Visio is supported...

I guess I am not the only one, so any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Paul Herber

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, all my addons were written using Delphi on Graham Wideman's VSL framework. All very successful so far, except there is very little access to the features of Visio 2003 onwards, various probles with Wndows Vista/Windows 7, and no upgrade path to 64-bit Windows.
My plan is to use C# in Visual Studio (IMO a very backward step from using Delphi), that is about as far as I've got so far ...
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Michael Dag

i let this hang way too long... anyone with a good suggestion to finally make some effort into getting my old code to work with Visio 64-bit?

Thanks!

Paul Herber

I have now moved my utilties development to Visual Studio C# to generate a 32/64 bit compatible app. All that aspect is fine, I can even code sign the installer file, but cannot code sign the VSTO file. I'm stuck at this stage.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

AndyW

Given VB.Net is quite different from VB6 & VBA you may find C# a better option.

As for 64bit, that's fine for windows but even MS recommend that 32bit Office is installed unless you have extremely large spreadsheets.

My customers (and their IT depts) seem happy to install 32bit Office/Visio.

My code supports 2003 to 2016 (32bit).
Live life with an open mind

cliff50

to my amazement and delight, I found all my  32 bit VBA written macros worked in 2016 64 bit environment.
because certain SQL macros in my solutions target 32 bit MS access database, I found I had to alter the "selected database" code portions to target the 64 bit version of MS access.