Re-aligning the phase band on a cross-functional flowchart

Started by lkyb, December 02, 2011, 07:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkyb

Hi,

I've been tasked with fixing some cross-functional flowchart process flows in which the formatting has gone askew and I am wondering if there is an easier way to fix them without having to redo them from scratch.  The format looks like a normal CFF, but the rectangle shape on the Phase band is misaligned (centered over the whole phase container that surrounds the shapes in the swimlanes, rather than extending to the left so that it covers the function title bars of the swimlanes.)  I've tried resizing the bar, but it keeps itself centered over the container, extending both left and right.  I've tried to figure out how to resize the entire container, but can't figure that out either. I tried setting all of the Protection properties in the ShapeSheet to 0 and ungrouping it, but that didn't work either.  All I need is for it to look like a normal CFF where the phase band goes all the way across the diagram instead of having a space there.  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? See att. screen shot.

Thanks!

wapperdude

Well, first of all, is the diagram still a groupped shape?  If not, then most of the built-in formatting will have been lost.  It would probably be more efficient to start over.

If the shape is still groupped, then, select the gray band (the offending shape) and open its shapesheet.  Find the Shape Transform section, most likely it's the 1st one.  Look at the entry for width.  It should be something like Sheet.1!Wdith*1.  Sheet.1 refers to the ID of the toplevel group shape.  I suspect the formula is different.  Correct it and the width should be sized correctly.

If you have doubts about some of the other settings, create a new CCF, and open up the shapesheet to check the other entries.  Note, the toplevel group ID may not be "1".

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

lkyb

Thanks; it sort of worked since the shape was still grouped (see img) - although the formatting is still a bit off.  I created a new template and am going to start from scratch to get rid of all of the messed-up formatting in the old one.  I think it's a doc that has been manipulated in so many ways, both in Visio 2002 and 2010, that it's beyond repair at this point, so it makes me feel better that there's not much I can do.  Thanks for your help!

Paul Herber

Something to bear in mind with this type of diagram (as well as others).
1. Keep to just one version of Visio.
2. Don't group/ungroup shapes.

Changing Visio version and grouping/ungrouping may be OK with some of the simpler shapes, but where a Visio addon is involved (as per Cross-function flowcharts) then changing Viso version is not a good idea, and certainly going back a version will break the diagram.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

lkyb

Good points, thanks, and good to know about grouping and ungrouping.  Unfortunately this is on a project with multiple consultants who have different versions of Visio and are all collaborating on the same process flows, so I'm afraid something is going to break again at some point - thankfully now I know what's going on with the original template instead of having a broken one to begin with.