Text doesn't illuminate

Started by Jonathan589, November 28, 2011, 10:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan589

Pardon what may be a very newbie question, but I have searched Visio Help and this forum but cannot find the answer ...

Select a shape and the text in it may be entered or over-written, but double-clicking the shape does not show the text field turning grey allowing a bit of the text to be selected and over-written.

Version is VS2003. Only one particular file shows this (uh) attribute, no other file does, and problem travels with the file so it must be somewhere in its properties.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Jonathan

Paul Herber

You need to check the shape's double-click event.
select the shape, then menu Format -> Behavior -> Double-click
and ensure "Edit shape's text" is selected.

P.S. it's "highlight", not "illuminate".
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jonathan589

Thanks Paul, you have highlighted  illuminated me!  ;)

That has let me fix the immediate problem. I notice that other shapes have 'Perform default action'. How would this default action of double-clicking to edit text get turned off, or rather, how can I set the default to be right?

Paul Herber

Depends on what the stencil/shape is. Some are designed that way.
What stencil/shape is it?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jonathan589

Looks like just two shapes off the Basic Shapes stencil: Rectangle and Rounded equivalent. The file was started by a colleague of the user who reported it to me so I cannot immediately tell the source of the problem. I imagine that much copy-n-pasting led to the whole file being like this.

The actual file is not overly complicated so can be remade and thrown away without cost, but I am puzzled enough to want to be able to pin down what happened.