Link visio to excel

Started by Malcolm Debono, November 21, 2011, 10:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm Debono

Sorry if I have put this question in the wrong place I am new to this forum.

I am trying to learn how to link visio to excel and have a few boxes linked successfully. When I select a box and look at the dimensions in the size and position menu it always shows the size with say "10.00000 mm". In the excel database I get the size with say, "10.00000 mm" as a text value. I am trying to get it to show a number and not text as I want to be able to link to the value as a number in another excel worksheet (need to get it to 2 decimal places also). Any help is appreciated.

aledlund

It's really a two part answer. The first part is that you will probably need to keep the 'mm' in your original cell because that tells Visio that you're working with millimeters rather than the default inches. The second part is if you need that cell in a different area of the worksheet it becomes an excel issue and not Visio.
al

Malcolm Debono

Thanks for replying Al. I spent hours trying work out where I was going wrong so your reply is a breath of fresh air. I will try to see what I can do in excel Thank You Malcolm

Malcolm Debono

I resolved the excel issue with a formula. Can someone please tell me how connect to another field in the database. I added another field (column) in excel, defined the table and saved the database. When I run the visio wizard to link a shape to the database record I cannot see the new database field in the list.  I must admit I have got lost now, not enough understanding. Any help is appreciated.