How to create a functional custom organizational Stencil in Visio 2010?

Started by Simke, November 15, 2011, 06:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simke

I need Help with Visio - how to create a functional custom organizational Stencil? I need a systemic solution because other departments also need to use it.

I need to make Stencil with organizational forms that we need (directorates, departments, sectors, positions...), where each shape is defined by a Master name, size, and color and when placed them on a work surface they should need to have the automatic subordination (connectivity) function to higher organizational form. As well as default org. Stencil.

I tried two ways to create Stencil which I need:
1. By creating new forms in the existing org. Stencil or in brand new Stencil (I create form which I need on work surface and then drag it to Stencil);
2. By modifying the existing forms in the existing org. stencil by dragging it to the work surface, creating a form of what I need and then drag it back Stencil.

But in both cases I have a problem:
1. In the first one, when manually create the org chart shapes Stencil, lose the function of automatic submission to a higher organizational form, but I get all shape's parameters the way I wanted (color, size, Master name ...)
2. In another variant, when I drag a modified form to work surface from Stencil, It keep just the color that I gave, text within the box and the automatic submission to a higher organizational form, but size and layout Visio returns to default settings (settings of the original shape I used to create a new one).

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

aledlund

I've been reluctant to take on this conversation over on the MS forum. This will require a custom solution with code because of issues with

"1. In the first one, when manually create the org chart shapes Stencil, lose the function of automatic submission to a higher organizational form, but I get all shape's parameters the way I wanted (color, size, Master name ...)"

Visio does not have a 'memory' of what may or may not be stored in multiple documents. This is a data-store set of issues which has to be handled by the user with code.

al

aledlund

simke,
One of the other issues I noticed was your desire to update a stencil and then use the stencil to create a 'new form'. Before this will work you have to ensure that the current document stencil is cleared of any residual shapes because Visio will continue to use the old version which is loaded in the document and not the new updated one.
hth,
al

Simke

Al,

When I do that and delete all master shapes including master shape in Document Stencil which I used to create a new shape (I am leaving only new shape I need in Document Stencil), Visio pop up a message: ,,Master(s) to be deleted are linked to object on drawing page. Break these links and delete the master(s)?" In that pop up I have two options: Ok and Cancel. When I confirm, I lose automatic subordination function and problem with dimensions continuous to exist.
Everything is same even I delete only master shape which I used to create new shape...