How to make a flared shape?

Started by Jennifer, November 01, 2011, 06:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

What's the best way to make a flared shape like the bell of a trumpet or the top of a train smokestack?

My shape would be a rectangle where the vertical edges were pulled apart at the top while the bottom endpoints stayed put and the edges formed a smooth curve. It's like the the of a trumpet cut off 6-8 inches back.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

vojo

assuming a trapazoid.....draw square, hold cursor over square, wait, vertices get highlighted, pull at will

To make symetrical, draw rectangle, pull one side.....copy flip......set next to each other, then shape ops ==> union

if curve sides.....do it be lines...2 parallel lines, then pick curve and connect 2 end points....draw vertical on other 2 end points....should shade if a closed geometry
(copy flip union for symetrical view)

Visio Guy

Be sure to check out the video in this article, the technique should help you to get what you need:

Draw Tangent Lines in Visio!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Visio Guy

Perhaps the form of a brass instrument superior to the trumpet, but similar in form might help you. This post has the Visio work done for you:

Trombone Visio Shape

Draw a vertical line at the point along the bell you want to slice off, then use the Fragment command to slice the trombone into pieces. Delete the junk and use the bell for your purposes.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

Can't resist a bandwagon!!!

So, with several contributors, thought I'd bring the various approaches together in a visual presentation.

The first page is basically the fragmenting technique that Visio Guy describes.  Although, I don't begin with a "pre-formed", aka, trombone shape.   ::)

The 2nd page is roughly the approach that Vojo suggests.  At least, it catches the intent.   ???

The next two pages are, perhaps, simplifications.  Perhaps.  The number of steps seems relatively constant.    :o

Enjoy.  Choose a technique that is most "comfortable", or perhaps some alternative not shown.   ;D

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro