Changing Date Format in Gantt

Started by ellenana007, November 01, 2011, 04:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellenana007

Hello -
I am currently working on a Gantt file in Visio that reflects dates as dd/mm/yyyy.
I would like to change this so that the Gantt is relevant for any year and the date is reflected as dd/mm or mm/dd.
Is this possible?

Thanks!

Paul Herber

You'll have to change one row at a time.
Click on the blue part of the task, right-click and select Data -> Select Shape Data
In the list of properties at the bottom select Start Date, in the sections above you will see Format, use the arrow to the right to select select different date formats, the format you want might not be there, try a similar format and then edit the line to get the format you want, it might be "{{M/d/}}".
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

ellenana007

Paul -
Thanks for your prompt response. The shape currently does not have shape data (I imported the data from Excel, perhaps that's why?). So a pop-up comes up requesting that I define the shape data.
I've tried doing this, but it doesnt work. For a single cell, the steps I am taking are:
1. Clicking yes when asked if I want to define shape data
2. Leaving Property as default name "Property 1"
3. Changing Type to "Date" on the drop-down
4. Changing format to {{M/d}}
and clicking OK
Another pop-up appears, called "Shape Data" asking me to assign a calendar date to Property 1.
5. I pick the same date that's in the cell.
6. I click OK
Nothing happens/changes.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Paul Herber

You are going wrong on the very first part of the job. You want to be changing the shape data for only the blue bar part of the diagram. If you are not working with that part then the rest of the instructions will go wrong.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

ellenana007

Paul -
You're a lifesaver!
Three more questions:
1. Any idea how I then remove the year from the top? Right now it's showing Jun 1990, Jul 1990.... for example. But I jut want it to show Jun, Jul....
2. Is it possible to delete the Duration and ID columns?
3. Since this file is linked to an excel file, is there any way for it to update automatically without having to reimport each time?

Thank you!