Visio For Web Not Showing Text In IE9

Started by Fish001, October 24, 2011, 12:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish001

Hi,

We are trying to put a demo of our process flow work online. When I save for web in Visio 2010 it automatically opens a copy of the HTM file off the local hard disk, and this works fine, the text in the boxes shows.

When I load the files up onto the server we get the coloured boxes but no text shows when using IE8 and IE9.

Safari, Firefox and a couple of other browsers work fine when loading from the server.

I tried searching the forums for a solution without success but I would be very appreciative if anyone can point me to an existing solution or make any suggestions?

If you'd like to try it please visit http://www.sysop.net.au/demo/DemoL1-4.htm

Thanks,

Greg.

Nikolay

You might have an issue with Silverlight rendering for your drawing.
That is, the generated image is displayed as Silverlight in IE8, IE9, but as PNG (plain image) in Firefox, Safari. If all you want is just a plain image, try exporting it as PNG.
You can configure that by clicking "Publish.." button in "Save as..." dialog, and selecting a different output format in the "Save as Web Page" dialog.

Fish001

Thanks Nikolay, you've helped me solve the problem!

For others should they have this issue.

The problem is that Visio 2010 Save As Web defaults to XAML format. IE8 and IE9 will not display this format correctly without having Silverlight plugin installed in IE, and IE does not prompt the user to do so.

Visio 2010 Standard no longer give you the Publish option when Saving As Web, which is where you can make the change you've suggested.

Turns out there's a work around, thanks to Barb from MS support:-

Select the File tab, and choose "Save As"
Choose the folder where you want to save the file
Add the file name and extension (.html) with quotes around it, such as "MyDrawing.html"
Important!  Leave the File type as 'drawing'.
Press Save
At this point the Publish dialog should appear and allow you to select the desired options.

Also - since the Publish options are stored in the registry, you will only need to use this work around when you need to make a change to the settings.

Note: this seems to stop it from working beyond the first page when using Safari.