Macro for Visio 2010 Premium

Started by Omega3k, October 12, 2011, 06:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omega3k

Hello,

I would like to create a Macro (or some other sort of automating function) that would allow Visio 2010 Premium to create objects, and the links between those objects based on data from an external source (in this case, an Excel Spreadsheet) for a system landscape. For example, say that I have these two applications (App 1 and App 2) with the following attributes:

App 1 (on row 17 of the Excel spreadsheet):

Application Name: Peoplesoft
Functional Area: HR
Functional Process: HR
Interfaces With: 378 <This is the row number within the Excel Spreadsheet which has the second applications' details>

App 2 (on row 378 of the Excel spreadsheet):

Application Name: Oracle
Functional Area: HR
Functional Process: HR
Interfaces With: 17 <This is the row number within the Excel Spreadsheet which has the first applications' details>

Is it possible to make a Macro execute upon data load into Visio, and have that macro scan through the data, create a new page for the "Australia - HR - HR" functional process, then create objects for each row item that has Country=Australia, Functional Area=HR, and Functional Process=HR within the newly created page, and finally, create the links (interfaces) between the applications that identify a row in the "Interfaces With" column? In the example above, we would have a double-headed arrow pointing from Peoplesoft <--> Oracle in the page "Australia - HR - HR".

Additionally, what would this Macro look like, and would anyone have tips with regards to keeping all the shapes on screen looking clean and orderly, and being kept up-to-date upon data source refresh?

I know this is asking a lot (or maybe not), but I would greatly appreciate any help with regards to this challenge.

Thanks in advance!