A shape has a "named reference" now...

Started by RhesusMinus, August 17, 2011, 08:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhesusMinus

Hi there.

I have a shape with several sub shapes, and there are "Links" between these sub shapes (placement etc.).

However, one of these shape (Sheet.10), now uses the shape name in the formulas, so the formula in a sub shape says "Bottomplate!Width" instead of "Sheet.10!Width".
If I try to write "Sheet.10" in a formula, Visio automatically converts it to "Bottomplate".
Normally, this doesn't make any trouble for me.

However.. when I put the shape on a stencil, and started to insert it on a new sheet, there seems to be trouble when I inserted several of this shape on the same page. And the only odd thing with this shape, is that I can't use anything but the shape name in any formulas, so I belive this might cause the problem.

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to "reset" this behvaiour, so that I can use the "Sheet.10" name to refrence this shape in formulas again?

(I have tried to, programatically, rename the shape (both Name and NameU) to "Sheet.10", but nothing really happened)

THL

Visio Guy

Hi RM,

When you drop instances of the master, each one gets a new name and id. So you're likely to have something like this:

Bottomplate = Sheet.1
Bottomplate.2 = Sheet.2
Bottomplate.3 = Sheet.3

You should be able to use Sheet.1, Sheet.2 and Sheet.3 in formula references, each one pointing to a different instance of the shape.

Names appear and can be used only at the same level/scope. So a subshape can't refer to a containing group or a shape inside of another group by name, only by "sheet id".
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010