Changing Fill Pattern with value of other Property - refreshing the display

Started by Cornea, July 25, 2011, 10:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornea

Hi all

I would like to change the FillPattern according the the value of a Custom (or standard) Shape Property. I used an If statement in the FillPattern field in the Fill Format window, but the Shape does not change on my page. When I display the Fill Window, the new value is there, but the Shape has not changed. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanx
Corne

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Cornea

Hi
No, it is a standard Visio Wall shape,  I've added a Property that will distinguish if the Wall is FaceBrick/FaceBrick, FaceBrick/Painted, etc.  I want the Wall Shape's fill display (FillProperty) to change according to the choice I make, i.e. FillProperty 03 for the first selection, and FillProperty 07 if the second option is chosen.  The FillProperty value is changing, but the display on the page is not.  I don't understand why.  I've even Refreshed the Shape, but no change.
I have to go into the Shape Properties and reselect the property before it refreshes.  That defeats the purpose.

Thanx
Corne

wapperdude

Ah, the wall shape!   ::)

Actually, this is a complex shape, made up from 6 subshapes.  The top, main shape is 1-D, that's why changing the entries in the shapesheet don't affect the observed fill.

If you open the drawing explorer window (menu bar > View > Drawing explorer), then push into the foreground pages ... shapes...wall, you will see a list of subshapes.  In this case, shape2, is the shape that needs to have it's fill settings changed.  You can push your values down into this shape.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Cornea

Hi Wapperdude

Thanx for the feedback.  I found the sub-shape that needs to be changed so that the actual shape's FillFormat is changing.  I'm struggling to link the IF statement to a Prop. value as these are in the main shape.  I can link the FillFormat of Shape2 to a User property in one of the other sub-shapes, but not to a property in the main shape.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Corne

wapperdude

Should be able to do something like this.

Say the main shape is shape.1, the target shape is shape.2. 

Shape.1 has the custom property, prop.xxx.  In the shapesheet of shape.2, you can pull in this value with the syntax shape.1!prop.xxx.

This link shows how to reference cells in all sorts of ways:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa200961(office.10).aspx#569

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Cornea

Hi Wapperdude
Thanx for the reply.  I did originally try that, but it did not work.  Not sure why as I created a Master with a complex name on a page with many shapes.  After your comment I created a new Master and it then worked.  I think one must create the Masters in the beginning, or be wary if it is not working.

Thanx again.
How do I close this post?
Corne

vojo