Scaling custom title block... should this be stencil, template or other...

Started by Lutra-WA, June 09, 2011, 06:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra-WA

G'day to all.  first time poster.

my background... AutoCAD guru, seasoned Solidworks modeler, used Visio near 6 years ago.  and appologize in advance for the wordyness that will soon commence.   ;D

i do some drawing layouts that uses architectural scales and requires Visio.  the scales will vary from one size to another.  and is mainly on 8.5 x 11 paper (a-size).  I am using Visio 2007.

my situation is that i will always have 2 sheets.  the first sheet is a title block with an overall layout.  the second sheet will have details attached to it.  this second sheet will never change.

i am wanting to make a custom title block that has these sheets "pre-set".  might i add too, i created these in Solidworks and for conformity, saved into DXF, made some adjustments in AutoCAD (mainly wittleing down extra lines on the detail sheet), then imported into a Visio sheet (scale 1" = 1") accordingly per the sheets.  i then grouped the txt and lines for each sheet.

i know i am missing something, or i hope that i am missing something..... i saved it as a template, "created" a new drawing based on this template for the border.  all looks good so far.  however, when i changed the page scale, the text changed font size (as it should with scaling up), but the line portion of the title block remained the same (the 1 to 1 scaling).

question: how can i make this title block scale up when i change the page scaleing?

Thank you all for your thoughts on my small and meager dilema.  BTW, i did try searching on the forums before answering.  could not find it.  if this has been asked,  1) sorry; 2) a link to that post(s).

Yacine

Hi Lutra,
text is defined in standard by points (pt), which don't scale proportionaly to geometric shapes, which are defined in length units (inch, mm, ...).
Fortunately, the text size can be set in the later length units (inches and millimeters). You just need to format your texts with the desited value followed by the unit ("in" in your case).
HTH,
Y.
Yacine

Lutra-WA

Hello, thank you for your response. 

Alright... i think i need better instruction manual.  or just a better understanding.   :(

am i correct with when i create a custom title block, i should save it as a template?  then, when i create my drawing layout, i would choose File > New > New Drawing from Template ?

now, with my observation, it is NOW making the title block border (the line portion of it, not worried about the text) bigger and smaller,  drawing sheet with graph lines appears to not change in size.  is this correct? 

i thought that when you adjust the scale of this document, that the drawing scale would change with the border keeping the same margins between the line of the border and the page edge.

Yacine

The right answer is: it depends.
There are dozens of parameters and many influence each other.
What you described is an ideal drawing frame. Setting up one is little bit tricky.
May be you would like to upload your's so we can give some advices.
Yacine