Traversing a line

Started by vojo, August 23, 2008, 08:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vojo

Assuming, for the sake of argument, one had a line that zig zaged around some.   Now assuming I wanted to place a marker on that line ("X" or bulls eye), is there any nice way to traverse that line to place the marker.

For example, geometrys define the transition or end points of line segment...but I want find/place the
marker on some arbitrary X,Y of that line.

If the line is straight, that is easy, just proportional to the axis direction. but if the line zig zags (other rows in the geometry section), then need to spend a lot of time to first figure out what row this hits...then where in the span it should be placed.

I guess I could put alot of hidden connection points on the line and walk thru them....that way no matter how the line is set up (moved or scaled), I just walk the connection points...however that seems tedious and probably bulks out line shape significantly....and that will stretch the fix set of points, not scale the point count.

Comments?

aledlund

a couple of thoughts  :-\ from the side. If the 'line' is a dynamic connector then you have the exposure that visio might re-route it and you would end up recomputing it anyway. If the line is a fixed series of concatenated links (your mini-connector scenario) then you only have to do it once for your created geometry (naming the segments when you create them would probably be a great help).
al