link excelfile to text-shape

Started by oelpeter, May 23, 2011, 02:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oelpeter

Hi everybody,
since I am comparatively new to Visio, I'd like to ask a view (hopefully simple) questions :
1) I am using excel 2010 and visio 2010
2) on a visio-drawing (should be a typical, so shapes on it don't change) I would like to add
    various text-information to the sheet which I then want to shift to a specific position (where it can stay)
3) each text-information should be connected to an excel-field
4) I've tried to solve this by using a "rectangle from the basic shapes", connect this shape to the database
    and insert the field I want.
5) basically this all works fine but:
     a) which shape should I use from the beginning? I always must change the filling, the line
     b) also when I click on the shape I created, I must click 2 times to reach the underlying shape (?)
         in order to be able to change font-size etc.
6) I also want to know whether it is correct to use the complete database for each shape
7) sometimes I experience a word-wrap after do a "refresh data"

thank you

Peter     

Jumpy

To 5a)
You can save a shape (after making the desired changes) as a mastershape in a new stencil and use that, whenever you need a new shape of that kind.

5b) It seems you have a grouped shape. A shape that is build from one or more shapes, that are grouped together. In that scenario your first click selects the group, the second click selects the subshape. You can change this behyiour from group first to shapes first, but I don't know where to find that in Visio2010.

Which Visio Version do u use? Standard or Professional?

oelpeter

Hi Jumpy,
thanks for your advice.
I have played round a bit and created a "text-shape" which suits my demands.
Please find attached the shape

regards

Peter