Best snap settings for adding connection points to shapes

Started by YossiD, May 16, 2011, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YossiD

I have tried innumerable combinations, but have yet to get the results I want.

I make lots of block diagrams with interconnections between shapes that require adding connection points at precise locations. To do this I usually draw a connector between the two shapes and then add a connection point to each shape at either end of the connector. Sometimes I use guides instead of connectors.

Ideal settings would make the connection point snap to the intersection between the guide/connector and the shape. I have found settings that do this reasonably well sometimes, but results are very inconsistent, with different behavior among identical copies of the same shape at different locations of the diagram.

Eventually I often end up pasting the connection point to the connector or guide, and then editing the ShapeSheet of the shape to move it to the shape's edge.

Can anyone recommend Snap settings that will reliably snap the connection point to the intersection of shape edge with the connector/guide?

Is there and article or reference somewhere that explains clearly and in detail how each snap setting affects the snap behavior and how the settings interact?

I'm using Visio 2003.

wapperdude

What works for me are the following settings:

Snap:  Off:  Ruler subdivisions, Alignment box, Shape extensions, Shape handles, Connection points.
          On:  Grid, Shape geometry, Guides, Shape intersections, Shape vertices.

Since this is adding connection points, don't care about glue, so disable it.

Under advanced tab:
          Ruler:  1
          Grid strength:  15
          Guides:  20
          Geometry:  25
          Extensions:  13

Now, when you add connection points to the shape, it is ideal to place them on grid.  Just use the Connection Point tool.  It doesn't have to be right on the exact spot where you want to add the point, you will see a faint "plus" sign that shows where it will go.  It will snap to geometry, guides, and grid in that order.  If you want to be off grid, then drag down a ruler guide and the Connection Point tool will snap to the shape exdge and the ruler guide. 

I would not use a connector as a guide.  That tends to add confusion, the Connector point tool will try to snap its position to either shape, but will be part of the selected shape.  Not good.  Your connector could be out of position.  So, keep it simple.  Just the desired shape and some guides.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro