Simple Task....Center group on x and/or y axis

Started by kenny782, May 02, 2011, 07:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenny782

I want to smash something about now all the time I've wasted on this.

I thought this would be the simplest thing in the world.....so I have to assume I'm an idiot.
Searches and alot of clicking came up with all kinds of ways to center all kinds of things but not this.

So here it is:
I've selected and grouped some objects.
Now I simply want to center that group horizontally in this partitcular case.
When I create the group all the align options become disabled.

I can't believe that a Macro would be needed to do something this simple.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

**EDIT**
Almost forgot I'm using Visio 2010 Premium

Jumpy

I don't quite understand:

Do you want to center that group on the page,

or do you want to center the shapes inside that group?

For the first use size and position window, or center drawing function (don't know where to find it in 2010).
Or place Formula in ShapeSheet of the group, for example in PinX = ThePage!Pagewidth/2

For the second u must ungroup the group first, than position the shapes, than group again.

kenny782

It's several shapes inside a square and grouped.
I'm happy with the position of all the shapes in the group.

Now I just want to center that group as a whole horizontally on the page

Their is a position menu on the toolbar and it has align middle, align center, top etc..
But as soon as you select a group they all gray out

wapperdude

The alignment functions you're talking about are for multiple shapes, relative to each other.

Since you want to center the group as a whole, to the middle of the page, use one of Jumpy's suggestions.  If you only want horizontal centering, but not vertical centering, then, don't use the Center Drawing function.  Note, the center drawing function is not selective, it looks at the conglomerate objections in the drawing window, both those on and off the page.  Takes the X- & Y- center of the conglomerate and moves all objects so this coordinate ends up in the middle of the page.

In short, there is no center-shape function, unless Paul Herber has it in his Super Utilities?  But, alas, I'm not at a computer which has those installed, so I cannot say it is so.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro