Converting a group to a shape.

Started by Michael, April 16, 2011, 01:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I've had a look and couldn't see anything related.

I've got a shape (well a number of shapes, as it happens, that I want to add a small graphic (picture) to. The shapes are all process shapes I've copied from a Visio stencil into my own .vss file.

This is no problem and I can save the shapes with the picture embedded. However, when I try and run the Shape Substitute routine from Paul's SuperUtils module I get a warning that the shape I'm trying to substitute is a group and may not substitute as expected (it doesn't, most of the links break).

The question is, "can I convert these groups into shapes, albeit shapes with embedded pictures?

Thanks!

Paul Herber

Hi Michael, there are many problems with substituting grouped shapes with another shape, I'd certainly be very interested in anyone else's ideas about it but I really don't think there is any sensible way to do it.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Michael

Hi Paul,

Maybe the way forward is to do the conversion in a stencil then update the shapes at the end, just before publication - if I get the chance I'll see if that works.

The only reason I asked is because one particular client wanted to customise the shapes that way. Personally I think the way forward is to do such stuff in a professional business process management tool, but if it can be done within Visio it would be a bonus. (My "solution" was to add a background image to the pages - they seemed happy with that...) :)