Embrace the isometric Cloud

Started by mark.murphy@asos.com, April 19, 2011, 12:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark.murphy@asos.com

Anyone using Visio for network/IT diagrams will probably have used a cloud to represent a network.  The standard 'WAN' shape is okay, but I prefer the look of the isometric connectors and 3D shapes.  The could shapes are all 2D and ruin the appearance.  Could an isometric cloud shape be produced?

cliff50

Quote from: mark.murphy@asos.com on April 19, 2011, 12:22:47 PM
Anyone using Visio for network/IT diagrams will probably have used a cloud to represent a network.  The standard 'WAN' shape is okay, but I prefer the look of the isometric connectors and 3D shapes.  The could shapes are all 2D and ruin the appearance.  Could an isometric cloud shape be produced?

very interesting challenge, I think the conventional billowing 2D cloud would look similar from any isometric perspective, for that reason I would suggest a cumulus, stratocumulus or even a cumulosnimbus version be most effective as they have flat bottoms. I could not imagine the  cirrus or a regular stratus formations to be of any use in this regard.

cheers

vojo

simple way:
   - Make an oval roughly 2X high 1X wide
   - color fill and line same (blue perhaps
   - copy and paste....spread around along an isometric (or 2:1 axis...not truly isometric...but close enough
   - Make some ovals larger and smaller....(shades of blue perhaps)
   - group them
   - save to a stencil