Creating Large Org Charts HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Started by James H, April 18, 2011, 07:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James H

Good Afternoon,

I'm new to visio and I have been given the job to create an organisational chart on Visio 2007 for our project, which has around 2,300 positions. I have been able to create the org charts themselves the many many pages of them, but as you would expect with 2,300 employees we can fit entire sections on to one page, so we are left with many pages with just two or three boxes on a page by themselves. On the computer you can follow the progression quite easily with the right click and the hyperlink that shows you which page and allows you to follow it. BUT as because we wont to use these as a hard copy, it is extremely difficult to follow where this page of two boxes comes from, as they could be from 80 pages before. I have been looking through visio and cant seem to find a way to allow you to show which page it is going to go to on the box. IE: within  the box it may say page 139 and then on pg 139 it is the people who report to that person on the other page. Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers.

???

wapperdude

Because of the built-in nature of the Org Chart add-on, there is very little you can to do to the shapes that isn't already part of their definition.   :P

However, you can add a shape / textbox below the org chart shape, "slave" it's position to the shape so that it "locked" to the shape.   :D  This auxiliary shape could insert a custom field that has the formula something like ="mymastershape"!hyperlink.row_#.subaddress.   ???  The master shape would be the shape id.  You have open to the shapesheet to get the hyperlink.row_#.  This entry is created when you add the hyperlink, so that must be done 1st.

See attached.   :o  I used a colored fill to easily identify the auxiliary shape, but, I would expect it to normally have no fill.  The positions use the guard() function so this shape can't be disassociated from its master.  The shape on page1 that shows the text "Page 2" was just a test shape, not part of the exercise.  It can be ignored.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro