Color palettes?

Started by pwachon, April 13, 2011, 09:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwachon

Does anyone know a way to easily leverage a color palette in Visio (I'm on 2010)?

I know about the Theme feature and if you'll pardon my bluntness, it's useless: most users will - unknowingly - use theme colors in their diagrams, so when different users (each using their own custom theme) start to combine their work, colors get messed up in a hurry.

Here is what I would like to see: a simple way to configure a certain number of colors and have them show up in the drop-down menus so I can color lines, fill shapes and change text color easily, without the pitfalls associated with Theme colors - and I don't want these colors to change *ever*. Something similar to what we would get if we could customize Visio's standard colors.

In the same vein (this might fit in the "wanted features" category), it would be nice if we could selectively use the format painter to only apply a subset of the copied format to a particular shape. For example, I have an existing rectangle with a green border and an orange fill. I create a new rectangle with a black border and wish to fill it with the same orange color as the other rectangle... if I use Format Painter, I will also bring over the green border (line color format) - which I didn't want.

Of course I know how to accomplish all the tasks above manually - tedious...

Jumpy

Your first issue was already discussed here, I think without a good solution:

http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2463.0

Your second issue would sure be nice and handy I think, so maybe you go ahead and create such a tool. I would gladly use it.
It should not be to difficult to accomplish that, using VBA. Only problem is, how to integrate it in the Ribbon or the PopUp menus as this is a little bit more difficult in Visio 2010 than in older versions.