VISIO 2007 - JPG's show up with black lines or can't see them?

Started by virtuallywarped, April 11, 2011, 05:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

virtuallywarped

Hi,
I downloaded the CISCO stencils & I wanted to use the PPT Icons or the JPG icons they have.  I just downloaded the jpg's and chose to open 1 or insert a picture, and whenever I put the jpg on a new drawing, it shows up with small black & white lines or it's just black with some white, but if I make it big enough then I can see the image is under those lines?

Any ideas? And if there are any other places to grab icons/stencils that would be great!

Thank you all in advance, I've been on this site for years & never had to ask about something yet, so I appreciate the great support here!!

Jake

cliff50

not sure about ppt files but the jpg file should insert without problems... what file size is the jpg ?.. I am thinking you have tried the insert picture from file  method via the tool bar ?.. when the "image" is placed on the page treat it as a shape and try to resize it using the pointer on a corner of the image.

my experience is, I insert picture from file (my jpg files are usually around the 100KB size) and when placed on a page i usually have to shrink them with the pointer.

aledlund

As a comment from the side, jpg and icons are bitimage files and not metafiles so any corruptions would probably be in the source since they aren't interpretable. The 'damage' comes when trying to change their size because they were engineered to look best without changing. As mentioned above, if you must resize it's best to start big and then shrink if you're concerned about the quality of the final picture. Cisco has many of it's products available in stencils on their site. Since these are Visio (metafile) creations they resize correctly (no guarantees of course).
Al

virtuallywarped

Thanks, I tried just to do file open and chose jpg, so I'll try do the import picture option, but I believe I tried that as well.
As for sizing, I have only tried to increase the size because I wanted to see what was happening, but the jpegs literally look like they have black striped lines.  I've opened them separately and they are fine, and they arent that big.  I just downloaded them from cisco yesterday.  I've tried adding other jpegs and the same thing happens, it's like it's a setting or something in visio, but I haven't seen this before.  It's a new laptop with all new installs, so I'm sure the install is fine.