Link text fields on different pages

Started by drewdb, August 11, 2008, 02:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewdb

Hi to all once again,

Does anyone know how to link the text in a text box across pages?

In my template i have 5 pages with a border that contains Job Name and Info. I would like the user to be able to enter this info on the first page border and the other 4 borders on the other 4 pages would reflect the same info.

I have tried hyperlink to off page without success of transfering the text.

vojo

if name in a user cell....can reference that cell from any page in the drawing.
    pages[<pagename>].sheet.<shapenumber>!user.jobname

The trick or problem is that user has to drop the root or source shape in the same order each time used
(on the first page....3rd shape dropped...etc)

You may be able to fence some of this off by having unique page name and shape name so that the
ordering of creation may not need to be that stringent

Alternatively, you could have a background page with a user cell.   All other pages reference that page user cell.   That background page only references the source....so only 1 update needed...or even have the the root/source on that background page so that no updates needed

This smells a bit like a template approach

Visio Guy

I think drew said he was setting up a template, so vojo's tip is correct.

So on, say, page 3, you could select a shape, then:

1. Go to Insert > Field
2. Choose Custom Formula from the list
3. Enter: pages[page-1]!User.jobName

That means, in the page's ShapeSheet on page 1, you'd have to store the job name in a user cell, or a shape data field (custom property)

You can get to the page's ShapeSheet by deselecting all shapes, then choosing Window > Show ShapeSheet.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

drewdb

****** Edit ****** sorry i fixed it by adding: =pages[Index]!thePage!User.JobName.

this should solve my issue. it will be template so that's OK.

Thanks for your input,

I must be something i'm doing or not doing.

My first page is called - Index
My second page is called - Video

I have created User.JobName on the Index page. (double checked)
I enter a custom field in the JobName text box on the Video page as follows:

=pages[Index]!User.JobName

Form some reason it won't accept it.

Not sure what i'm doing wrong. I've tried capitalising the "p" of "pages, tried adding the same User.JobName to the Video page and replacing Index with Video, still no go.

As i said, i'm sure it's me.

Thanks again.

vojo

need to include the sheet (shapename) after the page[index] but before !

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

drewdb

Thanks for the link to the Cell References.

Will use in future.

Thanks to all yet again. :)

AndyW

Why not hold the data in the document sheet, this can easily be referenced in the cell formulas as  TheDoc!User.JobName

The document sheet can be accessed by the drawing explorer.
Live life with an open mind

Visio Guy

Yes, Andy has the best solution.

The document has its very own ShapeSheet. You can add Shape Data or User-cells to this sheet, and store "global" information that applies to the whole document.

Here's a tip for accessing the document's ShapeSheet: hold down the Shift key while selecting Window > Show ShapeSheet.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

Well, I can see the advantage of using the document, but..., pardon my ignorance...part of the goal was to allow the user to enter values.  How does that happen with the doc approach?  How does the user bring up the document shape data so he can enter drawing title, for example?
Visio 2019 Pro