Recommend Book To Create Shapes

Started by ajocius, March 13, 2011, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajocius

I'm a Visio novice that enjoys working with Visio.  I have two Visio books that go into all sorts of detail using pre-developed stencils and shapes.  I want to develop my own shapes.  Would someone recommend a book that goes into this detail.  I do a lot of electrical schematics with "rack and stack" equipment.  Your assistance would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Tony

VisioNinja

Hi Tony,
I have been using Visio for a number of years and the only detail that books cover is a basic introduction to the drawing tools. Microsoft have a lot of good basic drawing tips usually a lot better than most books on the subject. Also Blog sites like Visio Guy have great tips on creating shapes. I have also just started my own at DawingNinja.com however I am still a little thin on content at the moment.

Cheers,
Dave   

bobsupercow

David Parker's latest book is one of the best I've used:

http://www.amazon.com/Visualizing-Information-Microsoft%C2%AE-Office-Visio%C2%AE/dp/007148261X

This site/blog/forum is also an excellent resource.

But the #1 best way I've found to learn shape development is just doing it. Look up references when you get stuck or you think you're probably over complicating a solution, but other than those times try to just learn as you go. Building a few stencils was easily the most effecient way for me to learn shapesheet programming.

Nikolay

You might be also interested in this classical book on Visio shape development:
Visio 2003 Developers Survival Pack

Also take a look at the the Developing Visio Solutions book which could be mentioned as a good starting point.
Note that it was a part of MSDN in fact.

wapperdude

...and a reasonable, basic reference about shapes and things Visio, there's this:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa245244(v=office.10).aspx

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro