Text rotation on lines

Started by gzema, March 03, 2011, 07:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gzema

I've searched and can't find what I'm looking for so apologies if this has been asked and answered.

I have a line to which I've added three lines of text.  The line is not exactly vertical or horizontal on purpose.  In fact, because of how I wanted it to appear, I turned off Snap so I could make my own angle from point A to point B. 

If I use the Text Block Tool, I know I can move the line's text wherever and rotate it but what I really want to do is, for lack of a better term, "fine-tune" the rotation.  Visio wants to rotate the text in steps (I'm not talking about the brute force 90 deg steps), but I want it to be a "smoother" rotation so I can line it up with my line.  I swear I've done this with some other shape by zooming in to 400%, rotate it, and then zoom back out.  Absolutely can't do it now.  I've tried it with both Snap and Glue turned off and a bunch of other stuff I won't bore you with. 

Is there some other magical button I haven't discovered?

Thanks.

George

Jumpy

go inside the shapesheet of the line. In the section Texttransform (?) you find the cell textangle, where you can enter an angle manually in degrees.

gzema

Thanks.  It's a little clunky to do it that way but it does get the job done.  I appreciate the tip. 

It's odd that you can smoothly move, let's say, an arrow so it points where you want it to but not so with text or most other shapes.  Just another one of those Visio fun-facts, I guess.   Maybe it'll be on the wish-list for Visio 2020.  ;)

Thanks again.

George

wapperdude

If you select the "rotation" control point, and while holding down the mouse button, slide the mouse away from the shape, you will get finer angular rotation.  Works for all shapes, and works with the Text Block tool, too.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

gzema

Oh now that's just too cool.  That has to be the best Visio tip I've ever read.

Thanks a lot.

George

tomscrace@gmail.com

Adding the Rotate Text command to the Quick Acces toolbar is a super convenient way to rotate text. It also works even if you have the Text permissions locked. Great if you have added a data field that you don't want users to delete.