Custom Page Number System

Started by wxaggie11, February 23, 2011, 09:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxaggie11

Hello,

I'm trying to build HVAC submittal drawings that include about 5 sections in the overall project. As each section contains multiple pages, I want to automate the numbering system for each section. For example: Section 0 drawing page numbers would be 0.0.00, 0.0.01, 0.0.02 etc. Then Section 1 drawing page numbers would be 0.1.00, 0.1.01, 0.1.02 etc. So basically the 2nd number is the Section, and the 3rd number would be the page number. How could I go about doing this? Is there a way to make a group of pages a "subproject" in the overall Visio drawing?

Paul Herber

Almost certainly there is nothing built-in to Visio to do this automatically. Now, whether it would be possible to write some code to help I'm not sure. How many pages are you planning on having? Are you going to want to insert pages and, hence, have to renumber many pages? Bear in mind that renaming pages will create a difference in the page's Name and NameU (unless measures are taken to address this) and any automation will have to take this into account.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wxaggie11

Well each section will have anywhere from 2 - 4 pages, and there can be anywhere from 4 - 8+ sections. I was able to get the page number to show up using Insert>Field. However, this is the page number for the entire Visio drawing (about 30 pages). I was wondering if there was a way to group pages together into minor projects (sections in this case) that are a part of the entire Visio drawing. The chances of this being possible are low. But right now I have to change the page numbers manually on every page. And when a page is deleted or moved, this is a very tiresome process.