Integration with access (advice and guidance needed)

Started by andries, February 11, 2011, 09:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andries

Hi

I am completely new to the world of the Office suite, but I like how you can all integrate it. I am also new to this forum :-)

I have a relational database in Access ( will change to another ODBC data source later, but I guess the principles are the same). This database manages a product catalog and customer orders. The company is building horse stables.

I have created stencils with all their specific master shapes which read data from the Access database (Product table). I also created a template in Visio, so far so good.

The goal to achieve is that when they create a new drawing from the template is to create a new record in the order table of the database, and when they drop a master shape onto a drawing it would create an orderline for the appropriate product (or if they duplicate an instance on the drawing, it should do the same, or update the quantity of the orderline). I have no clue if this is achievable as a power user, or that I need to go into programming with VBA.

So my first question is: how hard is this? Is it actually something easy or does this require some heavy programming?
My second question is: where can I find some good information about this topic? I find a lot of stuff about Access - Visio integration, but I have the feeling you always have to link it to a record manually, but this is something I want to automate.

I am a developer working with FileMaker all the time, with a decent knowledge of Java and Cocoa, so i am not afraid to enter the world of VBA (or another language if it is more appropriate).

My working environment is Office 2010 both Access and Visio.

Thanks for the advice!

Andries

aledlund

You might check this out

http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2298.0

I'm working on another example that implements v2010 and a2010 that hopefully I can upload next week.

al

andries

Thanks for the reply, but the visio files are no longer available ( the updated access file is ).

Could you provide me this?

Thanks!

aledlund

andries,
pse send me an e-mail address. Mine is edlund60014 over on yahoo (dot com).
al